Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I realized this weekend that only a select few in the whole world will ever understand how meaningful it is to graduate underneath the UT Tower. After four years of hard work and partying hard, the Tower is a symbol of so many events in our past, and so much hope for the future. For me, I am reminded of the times that I stopped to appreciate such a symbol of comfort. The day my grandfather passed away when I was a freshman, I stopped and sat and cried for him, my grandmother, and my family. After the A&M bonfire accident, student congregated gathered under the tower to honor those who had fallen. Again, after 9/11, the students gather to morn, grieve and collect themselves after such a tragedy and horrific day. The Tower is a land marker that is passed everyday with more thoughts in your head that you could ever write down. The Tower is a symbol out of the window at Garrison Hall where you think you might not pass your Argumentation and Advocacy class.

The Tower is the last place I stood on campus with my college friends and pals to celebrate the BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES before I went off to Nashville to start my new future and the new BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE. The Tower is where my mom and I sat after my grandmother passed away, and we wept as we heard the clock tower ring back at us. The Tower is where I went on my lunch break when I found out I was pregnant with Caroline. The Tower is a church, to some degree. A place of comfort and a place for reflection. I can't EVER expect anyone to ever understand that, unless they have graduated under that warm orange glow.

Ellie, I am so proud of you for making the move to UT. I love that we can share this similar and yet unique experience with each other. Hooray that you are staying in Austin for another year. Love you and Hook 'Em Horns!

7 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautifully written post! Hook 'em and Hugs!

Team Trevino said...

I couldn't agree more! Hook'em!

Jennifer said...

Hi Lindsey!! You are so right!! It is such a powerful symbol to Longhorns. I enjoyed meeting up with friends on the college steps, eating lunch there, having student organization meetings there and it just brings a smile to my face as I drive into Austin!! It truly brings comfort and feels like home!

Plus, they say a Rice grad designed it, so from a certain angle, it can look like an owl! :)

Rendi said...

GREAT POST!!

Lindsey said...

I love y'all so much!

ShellRutherford said...

I love it Lindsey!! So well written!!!

Granny Nanny said...

I see I haven't checked the blog often enough! Just seeing this and weeping for the place this "old" 1930 structure has burrowed into my heart! It does symbolize so much -- it is family --- it is home! I am one of the select few who TREASURES the gatherings under THE TOWER!
Congratulations Ellie!